Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sketches

Today was one of those days as an author when you get a little present which makes you realize why you write. What was that present? The first sketches for the counting book arrived today and they are wonderful. Laura's critters are perfect - exactly how I imagined them to be! They have so much character and each is perfect for his/her role in the story. I am so thankful to be teamed with such a talented illustrator who shares the same vision as I do for our book.

I also began volunteering today in Mrs. Michaud's second grade class at Dike Newell School in Bath, ME. I will be helping during reading time twice a week. I want to stay in touch with children and with teachers to hopefully better understand how to write for both. It is quite amazing what they already know and yet are still so innocent in other ways. I believe I will be the one being educated!

I hope everyone is warm out there. After 18 inches of snow last weekend and a return to single digit temperatures coming this weekend, I think we are all ready to shed some layers and head for warmer places. But since that isn't possible, let's just enjoy the beautiful snowscapes, the birds at the feeders and the sea smoke rising over the river.

Don't forget to ask your favorite teacher about a school visit this spring - we still have some open dates.

No comments:

Post a Comment