Thursday, August 27, 2009

New Book Title and Fox Honor

Well, it has been a while since my last post and I apologize for that. This summer has been quite full of quilt shows and travel. Even the writing took a back seat for the last month or so. But today feels like fall and even though I don't return to school to teach, the same old feelings of "getting back to work" have surged.

The title of the next book has been finalized - yeah! Start looking for Zero, Zilch, Nada : Counting to None in bookstores next spring. The color paintings look great and Harry is a very loveable - though math challenged - bunny. We are hopeful that it will be released in time for some spring time school visits.

A Isn't For Fox has been named to the Delaware Diamonds Booklist for the school year 2009-2010. This is a children's choice award program in the Delaware schools. Last year "Fox" was also named to the Keystones to Reading program in Pennsylvania and was on the short list - but not the final ballot - for the Charlotte Award in New York state. Exciting and humbling, to be sure.

I continue to research early Boston - around the 1770's -for a middle grade historical/fantasy novel set around the Boston Massacre. The more I think about the story, the more I realize how many different details I need to research to make it believable. Ultimately, a trip to Boston to visit the site and the graveyard will be in order. Because of the story line, I am also researching the life of early Irish immigrants in Boston.

Hopefully in the next months there will be good news regarding another picture book which is being considered for publication. Keep your fingers crossed!

This year I will be sending my school visit brochures out to Kindergarten/1st grade teachers in the middle of September. Hopefully by that time they won't get lost in the start of school mail pile. If there is a teacher/librarian you think I should send one to, please email the information to wendyu272@gmail.com. My fee is quite reasonable and there are other sources of funding than the regular school budget. My visits have been funded by parent groups, assembly/enrichment grants and even by anonymous donors. We can be creative, work together and not let the economy rob our kids of new experiences.

Enjoy what is left of summer and start getting ready for a beautiful autumn. Write about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment