Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Thanks to Winslow

No, I am not giving credit to Winslow Homer for inspiration, although I do want to visit the current exhibit in Portland. I am thanking Winslow Elementary School for hosting my fourth visit to their school - three in this school year! 

I did a birthday visit last year in one of the first grade classrooms. We had a great time and the teacher was very happy with the visit. This past December I was contacted to return to Winslow to present to 100 students and their parents. An interactive presentation was requested! In January I arrived with 100 "faux" balloons and in a breathless half hour had the kids and parents making body percussion music, counting with their balloons and adding movements to The Number Dance. I was pleased with the day and surprised at how well it went. I guess I wasn't the only one pleased, as I received a call from the principal asking me to return and once again lead a reading and counting session - with the entire school of 500 students! My first thought - do I have to make 500 balloons? I didn't, the parent group did - bless their souls:)

I arrived for the big event, which was the kickoff for their March Madness Math-a thon to raise money for their playground. An inflatable screen was set up and the principal, who had scanned Zero, ran a powerpoint as I read the book. What fun to see all those balloons going up and coming down. I am happy to report that the kids raised $5000 in two weeks gathering pledges to support a 30 minute all school math session. After the assembly, the  first grade teacher from the year before asked me to her room. Would I come back in April and spend a day with PreK, K and Grade 1?

Yesterday was packed full of double and triple class sessions with the youngest students. We focused on A Isn't for Fox, writing a group poem together based on rhythm and learning about Cowboy Billy. We had a wonderful day together - again.

We all know how nice it feels to be wanted, but Winslow has opened its arms to me in a way I never expected. Thank you, Winslow Elementary - but those words don't come close to expressing my appreciation for your interest and support of me and my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment