Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A Sweet Time in Hershey

What a great weekend in Pennsylvania!

A huge thank you to the staff at ZooAmerica - especially Elaine, the Education Coordinator, who did coordinate everything. There were milk and cookies for the radio winners, a colorful sign announcing the event, animal handlers and a great spot for the signing between the bears and the otters. She also brought carpet squares so we could have impromptu readings and just thought of everything. Thanks also to the Hershey marketing people, especially Kathy, who got the contest on the radio and posted announcements at the other Hershey attractions.

Of course, the people I really go to PA to see were 'ginormous' in the success of this weekend - my family. My sister Kim was the go-fer, chauffer and inn keeper; I think she knows every cow path short cut in Lebanon and Lancaster counties. My niece Ann, who works at ZooAmerica and first approached me about the visit, handled Hoover, the vulture, throughout the signing. She was amazing, even when Hoover thought flying away was a better idea than being on display. Ann's husband, Steve, handled the book sales and kept us all laughing - you don't want to know! Their girls, Julia and Elizabeth were great helpers, telling folks about Spritz, the desert tortoise that shared the table with me, and giving me a tour of the zoo.
My sister Judy and her husband Jerry were the overall support team, helping set things up, showing the little screech owl to visitors and generally being there whenever we needed something. Although they couldn't join us on Sunday, we did get to visit with my sister Kyle and her husband Ron and sons Aaron and Rich. They spent Sunday at daughter Jesse's horse show at Delaware Valley College. There is nothing better than being able to share a wonderful happening with people you love - thank you to my family. I am truly blessed.

The visitors to the zoo were also great. A special hello to Paige, Megan, Andrew 1 and Andrew 2 and Happy Birthday to Isabella. It was great to see extended family and old friends. A special thank you to Tim and the youth group that brought books to be donated to the schools.

This weekend we are off to Fox Tales Books in New Durham, NH on Saturday, not sure if it is at 11 am or 12 noon. I will post the time after I talk with Mary. I am happy we could reschedule this visit and look forward to a shorter car ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment