Monday, April 18, 2011

Art Linkletter was right!

When I was a kid, Art Linkletter had a show on TV about the sayings of kids. I guess I thought it was funny then, but it means so much more now as I listen to my grandsons explain situations to me. Their utter delight in saying something funny is totally refreshing. From talking to an imaginary friend in a pocket who, by the way, has a ladder that will reach to heaven so they really could visit Great Grandma, to deciding to have the name Tiger and declare to be 100 years old, their fun with words never stops. Even more rewarding, is the fact that most of the time they are purposefully using language to have fun! What a great lesson to learn from ones so small - using language to entertain, not bully; using language to be creative, not destructive; using language to share feelings, not hurt them. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not blinded by my love for these little ones - they use language in other ways, too. Poopy-head being a favorite. And they are quick to correct us grownups when we say something inappropriate, also. What I am trying to figure out is how to keep them having fun with words and how I can use what they teach me to write better books for them. Meanwhile, I will continue to enjoy our witty and insightful conversations. So I will leave you with a recent exchange: Me: "I love you to the moon. " Grandson: "I love you to the back of the moon. " It doesn't get any better!

No comments:

Post a Comment