Monday, April 4, 2011

Test Groups

I am finding that I am asking adults less often to give me feedback on my work and, taking a deep breath, having students be my critique group. My first adventure in this method was having 5th, 7th and 9th grade students edit my middle grade novel. I must admit I was more than a bit nervous when I returned to gather their feedback. But after pushing down that defensive dragon in me, I listened ,fascinated, as they told me what they thought would make the book better and what they liked. But even more gratifying to me, was the way they told me their thoughts. There was no sarcasm or derision in their voices - and, yes, these were typical tweens and teens. They wanted to be part of the process and appreciated the opportunity to have an author listen to their ideas and actually take notes on what they said. And they want to know when I will have copies for them published! That was the hard part - telling them I didn't know if it would ever be published. So now I am bravely trying out a new counting manuscript with second graders. This piece can be read as a book or done as a type of square dance. After five classes of second graders worked with me last week, I received a thumbs up from students and teachers to keep working on it. So off I go to Winslow this week to try it with some more second graders. Their feedback comes in giggles, sparkling eyes and hugs! Book signing for Cowboy Billy on Saturday, April 30th, at 11am at Mariner's Compass Quilt Shop in Bath. New research notes for the middle grade novel at www.wendyulmer.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment